Since I’ve had 2 people ask about this today, I finally wrote up a proper thing on the steps to move a podcast over to Castmate (instead of typing out something similar to this every time someone asks haha!) Here it is, let me know if you have any Qs on it or want to move your podcast over:
So, the process for moving a podcast to Castmate is fairly straightforward. The fast tl;dr version is:
- 1. Start a Castmate account.
- 2. Get us to run the script that will make copies of all your older episodes.
- 3. Set up a redirect at your old hosting place.
And here is the info, a little more in depth:
1. You need a Castmate account of course. You can get one here:
2. Then, let me know what your username is, and where your current podcast is (the RSS url), and I can run the script that will grab all your current episodes and make a copy on our server.
You probably know, but that’s free, you won’t be charged for the space your old episodes take up. (Which by the way is a pretty good deal! To give you an idea, we recently migrated a podcast over, for free, that another popular podcast host had told would cost $310, YOUCH.)
- Now you need to fill out 2 really short forms on our site (podcast name, title, description, etc) here:
3. Now all that is left is to add a <itunes:new-feed-url> tag to your old feed at your current host. We can help you with this if you don’t know how, so ask us if you’re having trouble.
This will make the iTunes directory update the feed they are checking for your podcast, and it will also alert your subscribers iTunes (and similar apps) that you have a new RSS address, and they’ll update their settings automatically.
At that point, everything should be set (as long as your old host isn’t holding your RSS feed hostage or anything), and your listeners shouldn’t even notice any disruption at all! In fact, and I’m going to brag here a bit, we’ve only had feedback from listeners on this once: One podcaster switched to us a few months ago, and told me that during the first week, 3 listeners mention to him how much faster episodes were downloading (the server he was using before us was throttling the download speed, eww.)
Someone, who recently started a podcast with Castmate, just emailed with a great question, that I’ve actually been meaning to write about.
Their question was: “If I use Castmate, and then switch to another provider sometime down the line, how much control do I have over my RSS feed. Will I lose control, is there any way I could redirect it?”
The answer is: You have full control over your RSS feed. If you want to switch to another hosting solution down the line, we will follow Apple’s recommended procedures, of putting a itunes:new-feed-url tag in your feed, as well as a 301 redirect, and we will leave those in place forever. (more…)